Friday, April 16, 2010

Now That's Dark Chocolate! . . . Glazed Black-Cocoa Brownies with Coconut and Rum

It's finer in texture than the finest top-soil. A gentle breeze sends it flying. If not handled gingerly it makes an awful mess, like ashes spilled from a fireplace. What is it? It is utter darkness in cocoa form. Tres noir. Like a night sky with no moon.

 

Where natural cocoa is mild and welcoming, black cocoa is intense and vaguely threatening. Bitter in a way that only a true chocolate lover can appreciate, it takes no prisoners. A profoundly dark version of regular Dutch process cocoa--but one that has been extremely alkalized--black cocoa is typically used in combo with additional chocolate components.


About this recipe . . .
 
These brownies have their genesis in a simple fudge brownie recipe that I encountered last year in Midwest Living magazine's February 2009 issue. Those basic brownies were good, but I substantially revised the formula to what I think was very interesting effect. I did this by adjusting the proportion of flour, changing the variety of chocolate used, adding in unsweetened coconut and black cocoa, and reducing the amount of vanilla while adding in dark rum. Finally, I augmented the baked brownies with a shiny dark glaze. 




This recipe makes a tender and cake-like brownie, with a moist and slightly gooey texture. The glaze sets up quickly, but doesn't dry hard; it stays reasonably soft without becoming sticky or drippy.



Glazed Black-Cocoa Brownies with Coconut and Rum

(For a printable version of this recipe, click here!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter or grease a 9" by 13" baking pan. Cut parchment paper to fit the pan and to overhang all four sides by at least an inch, then lightly butter or grease the parchment.


For the brownies:

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
8 oz. dark chocolate
2 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. dark rum (I used Myers's Rum, Original Dark)
3/4 cup All-Purpose flour (I used unbleached)
3 Tbsp. black cocoa (I used King Arthur brand; if you don't have this, you can use Dutch process, or better yet Hershey's Special Dark cocoa)
1/2 cup grated unsweetened coconut (if not in your grocery store, you can find this in health food stores; note that it's grated vs. shredded, thus much finer and completely dry vs. moist)
3/4 tsp. salt
1 pinch cinnamon
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. large flake coconut to use as garnish (optional)

In a heavy sauce pan, slowly melt the butter, dark chocolate, and unsweetened baking chocolate over very low heat. Stir frequently and gently, until the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, stir together both of the sugars, the eggs, the vanilla extract, and the rum.



Pour in the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.


In a small bowl, mix together the flour, coconut, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and black cocoa.


Fold this into the liquid mixture, and stir to fully combine. The batter will be quite thick, but should still be easily spreadable. Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter evenly into the pan.



Bake for about 30 minutes or so, checking the brownies at 25 minutes. The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, and the brownie top-crust no longer appears wet.

Let the brownies cool in their pan, on a rack, for about half an hour. In the meantime, prepare the glaze.


For the glaze:

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp. hot water
1 Tbsp. dark rum
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, or Dutch process cocoa (I would advise against using black cocoa powder in this glaze, or just use a tiny bit; it's bitter flavor might prove to be too much, but, hey, you're the driver!)
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Mix together the hot water and the cocoa powder in a small bowl. Stir into this the melted butter,vanilla extract, and rum. Add the confectioners' sugar and stir until the mixture is completely smooth.


While the brownies are still just slightly warm, carefully remove them from the pan by pulling up firmly on opposite sides of the parchment paper, and setting them down quickly, still on the paper. (The glaze will spread more easily if the brownies are not completely cold at this point.) Using an offset spatula, spread the glaze before it has a chance to firm up.



Let the glazed brownies cool completely before you try to cut them. If you like, use a cookie cutter, and garnish them with a bit of large-flake coconut.

I think these are even more delicious the second day . . . and the third day . . . and the fourth day . . .


(If you'd like to comment on this post, or to read any existing comments, just click on the purple COMMENTS below!)

22 comments:

Miss_Steak said...

Those look absolutely delectably delicious! Gorgeous presentation! As a dark chocolate lover, I can NOT wait to try out this recipe at home!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

You are killing me with all of your delectable desserts. :o) I'm going to be dreaming about those brownies tonight!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Wow....this takes decadent to a whole new level. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!!

Katrina said...

I've never heard of black cocoa! This sounds amazing!

MaryMoh said...

Wow....looks irresistibly good. It looks so moist and dark. Love the glaze. Thanks for sharing.

Marie Rayner said...

wow, those look incredibly good! I want one now!

Naomi Devlin said...

I'm a complete theobromaphile and I've never heard of black cocoa! What is it and how is it different from pure cocoa?

x x x

Chele said...

What a a write up! Sound fab and look even better. But I have to also admit that I have never heard of black cocoa. Where can I get my hands on some!

Snooky doodle said...

ohh these look decadent!!

Jane said...

Hi Miss Steak--
Thanks very much! As a fellow dark chocolate lover, I can highly recommend these!
Jane

Hey there Susi,
I hear you, but I can't seem to stop myself, Susi! I just can't stop baking! Clearly, it's an incurable urge and I just have to live with it.
;) Jane

Hello Chef Dennis,
Thank you so much! Coming from a professional chef, I am flattered you think so! I appreciate your visit, and I enjoyed visiting your blog after I saw your comment--wonderful!
Many thanks,
Jane

Hi Katrina,
It is an interesting variation in the world of cocoa, isn't it?
I am crazy about it.
:) Jane

Hi MaryMoh.
Yes, that it is--moist and dark, to be sure. Thanks for stopping by!
:) Jane

Hi Marie,
Okay, I'll pack one up and send it to you in England! Maybe it'll get there by next month? Let's hope it holds up that long! ;)
Warmly,
Jane

Dear Naomi,
It is highly alkalized, more so than regular Dutch process cocoa. It's not usually used by itself because it's so strong and kind of bitter. And sometimes it's used just to add darkness to the color of a batter or dough. I ordered mine from King Arthur. It's not inexpensive, but a little goes such a very long way, it's worth it. Give it a try!
:) Thanks so much,
Jane

Hi there Chele,
As I noted in the reply just above,
King Arthur is a really reliable supplier of the stuff. That's where I bought mine. It's fabulous!
:) Keep on baking,
Jane

Jane said...

Hi there Snooky--
Glad you think so! Thanks, as always, for stopping by!
:) Jane

Jenné said...

these are beautiful. I love their circular shape; and I bet they taste even better than they look!

Stella said...

Nice Jane! I can't decide if I like the recipe or your photos better. The coconut is a really nice touch.
By the way, thanks for answering my somewhat odd question (smile). I am a bit antsy about the baby subject, but you certainly made me feel hopeful. Thanks Jane...

faithy said...

my kind of brownie! Yums!

Deborah at Tempting Tangles said...

oh my goodness, I saw that chocolaty confection and could immediately SMELL it! Power of suggestion is calling me to the kitchen, even at this hour! Wow does that look good. Maybe I could just lick the screen and pretend I can taste it? Nope! I MUST hasten to the kitchen and search for the ingredients!

Deb in Idaho

Unknown said...

Ooooh, these look positively sinful. I would just gobble these up in no time :)
*kisses* HH

tasteofbeirut said...

Jane
Having baked countless brownies myself, I can vouch that your recipe is outstanding! I think it is the brown sugar that gives it that dark moistness; also using rum in the glaze is another touch of brilliance! zone to keep!

Katie said...

Wow these look so good and oh so chocolaty. I love the sounds of the added coconut and rum - just divine!

Unknown said...

Wow.. That IS dark!!!

Lindsey Whitney said...

Looks great. Just found out about your blog from Family Fun magazine. I think I'll be stopping by quite a bit!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, but where does the coconut go? It's in the ingredient list, but except for the garnish, it's not in the directions.

Jane said...

Hi Anonymous,
Thank you so much for pointing out that omission in the recipe! I have fixed it in the post and in the printable version. (The grated coconut goes in with the flour mixture.) I greatly appreciate that you let me know!
Jane :)