Friday, December 31, 2010

So Long 2010 . . . You were a Sweet, Tasty, and Memorable Year!


The New Year will arrive in just a few hours, so what better time than the present to do a quick recap of Jane's Sweets & Baking Journal's 2010 highlights? It was indeed a sweet, tasty, and memorable year. Here's a little sampling of one item from each month . . . these were among my personal favorites!

January 2010 --The Sweet Potato Pound Cake . . . this turned out to be one of those recipes that really surprised me. Who would have thought you could make something so pleasing from a humble potato?


February2010 -- Orange Polenta Cake with Sweet Citrus Glaze . . . and who knew that a simple cake containing corn meal and olive oil could be so appealing? Not me, until I tried this recipe.


March 2010 -- Jumbo Blueberry Muffins . . . (oh, and did I mention these are BIG?) Rarely does a muffin  evoke stares of  amazement like these babies do. Not just because of their mighty girth, mind you, but because of their extreme Yum Factor.

 

April 2010 -- Honey Oatmeal Sandwich Bread . . . this post was bittersweet because it centered on  my father-in-law, "Grandpa Joe," whom we'd lost a few days before I wrote it. He loved to bake bread and I couldn't help thinking of him while I prepared this recipe.



May 2010 --Tart Cherry Frozen Yogurt with Crispy Honey Cookies . . . mmmm, tart is right! I'd never made frozen yogurt before, and I was tickled pink with the way it turned out. The crunchy honey cookies were a fine foil for the lip-puckering tang of this bright fro-yo! This post was also one of my faves because it documented a robin's nest, with two lovely eggs in it, that a mama bird built in a little flower pot hanging on our fence. My family and I monitored its progress like anxious parents-to-be until the babies hatched and, after a couple of weeks, flew off to see the world and make their own families.



June 2010 -- Chocolate-Filled Coconut Macaroon Sandwich Cookies . . . no, these weren't those fragile pastel treats that have been all the rage for a couple of years now in baking circles . . . but they're just as good, if not better! The hubby and I loved these cookies. Recommended!




July 2010 -- Chocolate Mousse Dream Cake . . . This one was dear to my heart, but not just because it's a fabulously decadent cake. I made this for my 14-year old son Nathan's birthday, at his special request. Not only was it a luscious dessert to serve at any birthday, it was a poignant birthday celebration to me because my littlest boy just isn't little anymore!



August 2010 -- Sparkling Peach Cobbler with Prosecco, Ginger, and Honey . . . I never was a big one for cobbler--not until I cooked this up! One of the best homestyle/summertime/fresh-fruit concoctions I think I've ever tasted. Sparkling is right! Sparkle on!



September 2010 -- Parmesan, Herb, and Garlic Popovers . . . that's right, pop on over to my house for the most startling popovers around! These guys knocked my socks off. They'll defy all your popover preconceptions--no kidding! And, gosh, do they ever smell fantastic!



October 2010 -- The Cake that Thinks it's a Pumpkin . . . this is what you might call a cake with an identity crisis but, oh, what an intriguing crisis to have! I never expected to get such a big reaction out of the people who saw this cake--one that I made in my Theme Cakes class. What a lot of fun it was to work on this.  And easy? Anyone can make it . . . I sketched out instructions in the post.


November 2010 -- Apple, Quince, and Pear-filled Sweet Rolls . . . nothing like a nice breakfast roll, warm, sweet, and sticky with autumn's most charming fruit. I made these on a school day when my Pastry I class was unexpectedly canceled. It was a much enjoyed windfall of free time that I chose to spend in the kitchen--of course!



December 2010 -- Sam the Snowman Cake . . . I have to tell you that I feel a special kinship with this fictional character now, after having spent so dang much time on this cake! Heck,  I'll never be able to watch Rudolph on TV again without thinking about it. It's like the cake-decorating equivalent of a getting a tattoo.

 

Wow, 2010 sure went by fast, didn't it? I know I'm looking forward to whatever 2011 brings to us bakers, one and all. Expect I'll be whipping up something new to share with you in a couple of days. Until then,  Have the happiest New Year ever!!

Warmly,
Jane   :)

* * * * * * * * ** * * ** *

(If you'd like to comment on this post, or to read any existing comments, please click on the purple COMMENTS below!)T

12 comments:

ann said...

Wow, what beautiful desserts. I love every one of them and your pictures are fantastic! Well done!

The Happy Whisk said...

What a fantastic blog post. Great idea. Wonderful images. Happy Eating. Happy Baking.

cocoa and coconut said...

What a great baking year you've had. Filled with successful treats! I look forward to seeing more in 2011. Happy New Year!

~~louise~~ said...

I'm still dreaming about those Blueberry Muffins, Jane. Looks like I missed a few too. Better check those "babies" out.

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see what enticing sweets you have in store for us this year.

A very Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year to You and Yours!!!

eatgood4life.blogspot.com said...

I love this post, most of all the beautiful pictures of all of the desserts. That chocolate mouse cake just looks divine. I might have to try that one, but then again I have so many of your recipes I would like to try....:-)

Carol said...

What a great post. Happy New Year Jane!

Theresia (Minori Design) said...

What a wonderful blog! I will definitely check your blog often, Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

You had an awesome year! Happy 2011, I love your blog.

annie said...

Jane, thank you for a wonderful and tasy smorgasbord of sweets. Hope to bake a few that I've bookmarked. Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy and safe New Year.

june in ireland who loves to bake said...

I've only just discovered your BBB (brilliant baking blog) since this past June/July, and wow! - I now see all that I've missed out on this past year. Thank goodness (and thank you, too) for blog archives.

All these recipes and all these photos, coupled with your great writing style make this blog my favourite, bar none.

Thanks for sharing all this with us throughout the year, and long may you continue writing such lovely and inspiring posts, time after time.

Happy new year!

Hanaâ said...

Thanks for the 2010 recap (great idea, btw!!). Looks you had another successful baking year. The fruity yeast rolls are still on my todo list :o) I wish you and your family a very happy new year filled with happiness, good health and lots of baking adventures! :o)

margot said...

Genial estas entradas.
Feliz año.
Beoss